2013 Sewing Plan: The “9 to 5” Dress

OMG! First project of the year!!! I’m going to continue documenting my projects Sew Weekly style, I hope you don’t mind. I just like the organized standardization.
P1070168 copy
b3100 c19852013 Sewing Plan: Project 1
Fabric: Teal cotton sateen from Haberman’s $10 with a giftcard, navy dot cotton from B&J $15
Pattern: Butterick 3100
Year: 1985
Notions: 1/4″ elastic, 11 buttons – all from stash
Time to complete: HAHAHAHAHAHA…I didn’t keep track. 4 weeks of intermittent work?
First worn: To work last Friday
Wear again? Heck yes!
Total price: $25 for the fabric – but really just $15 because of said giftcard

So I took my time with this dress and I think I appreciate it more because of it. This has sort of been a long time in the making as well. I didn’t imagine myself wearing it with the tights and cardi but it’s sooo cold I’d freeze otherwise. I’m not sure how flattering it is around the middle, but I love it regardless.
P1070179
I purchased the blue dot fabric (by Japanese company Sevenberry) from B&J Fabrics in NYC back in September. I knew I was going to make it into a blouse with a tie, I just didn’t know when or what exact pattern. After I made Gertie’s Bow-Tied Blouse in the other fabric I bought that same trip, I considered doing the same for this fabric but wanted to wait to give myself time to think about it. Also, sometimes the Sew Weekly challenges didn’t coincide with things I actually had been wanting to sew.
b3100
(Sevenberry photo source)
So anyway, in looking at my 2013 Sewing Plan, I decided I really wanted to make Butterick 3100 first, and with this navy cotton as the top. I just had to get a fabric for the skirt – which I knew I wanted to be aqua or teal based on inspiration I derived from this pin. And I found this gorgeous teal cotton sateen at Haberman’s in Royal Oak a few weeks ago.
P1070165
The pattern company just assumes you’re making this dress out of one fabric, or that your collar and cuffs would be an accent fabric, so I was totally guessing how much fabric each piece would take up. I just squeezed the top out of 1 1/2 yards. if I had been wanting long sleeves it wouldn’t have fit. Nor was I able to get the yolk or collar band facings out of it so I did those as accent pieces (à la one of my husband’s work shirts from Geoffrey Beene) out of the teal.
P1070182
I’ll also note that you don’t get a pattern piece for a bow-tie. I had to make that up myself.
P1070188
Both skirt front and back are cut on the fold as there are no zips needed so that was easy enough to get out of 1 1/2 yards of the sateen with enough left over to get 4 pocket pieces and the yolk facing. Since I’m short I could have gotten the skirt pieces out of 1 1/3 yards but I picked up 1 1/2 just to be safe.
P1070196
I paid special attention to the instructions for pressing after certain steps and I think that really helped the final construction. I’m very pleased overall. I may still slip-stitch the pleats down around my bust line because they can pop weirdly when I move certain ways.

Advertisements

About EBS

Museum curator, nerd, chronic watcher of TV show marathons, married to a soccer hooligan, vegetarian, obsessive sewer.
This entry was posted in DIY and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to 2013 Sewing Plan: The “9 to 5” Dress

  1. anothersewingscientist says:

    Congrats on the first project of 2013…..I’ve been getting stuck in to all the mending and hemming that I ignored last year in favour of The Sew Weekly! But I’m home with a sick kid today, so I may dust off the sewing machine.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s