Sewing Projects 47: The “Candy Stripe” Skirt (Part Deux)

P1060983 crop
Originally written for, and posted at, The Sew Weekly. Theme: Re-Do
The Facts
Fabric: Cotton pillowcase from Goodwill $1
Pattern: None
Notions: Elastic from stash
Time to complete: 2 hours (2 eps of Merlin)
First worn: For pictures
Wear again? Yes!
Total price: $1

I thought about what to do for this challenge longer than I actually worked on it. For a while I thought I would redo the collar challenge. But this week proved busier than expected so something quick and easy was required.
I bought this pillowcase from Goodwill about a month ago, always planning to “Refashion” it into something else. I had been waffling between skirt or top for a while and skirt won out as I’d just recently done a square top. The hips/bum fit just perfectly!
Sadly, the stripes on the side do not match up. Pillowcase manufacturers apparently don’t pay as much attention to detail as we do. I used an encased elastic waist and used that to “hem” the skirt to the right length.
Here’s a close up of the stripes and manufacturer’s tag. I left it in to help me figure out the front/back. The first post I made for Sew Weekly (fave sewn thing from 2011) was called the Candy Stripe skirt and I couldn’t think of anything better for this one. I hope to return to more exciting/involved projects for the final two weeks.


About EBS

Museum curator, nerd, chronic watcher of TV show marathons, married to a soccer hooligan, vegetarian, obsessive sewer.
This entry was posted in DIY and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s