Sewing Projects 41: The “Loki’s Army” Dress


Originally written for, and posted at, The Sew Weekly. Theme: Halloween
The Facts
Fabric: Black cotton $10, green cotton from stash $0, green satin $5, gold pleather $3
Pattern: Simplicity 1802 for the top and self-drafted everything else
Year: 2012
Notions: Zipper $1, hem tape, safety pins (for cape) and headband from stash
Time to complete: 18 hours (1 full season of 30 Rock plus all of Thor and The Avengers and some various Halloween movies too)
First worn: Two weeks ago to the Halloween party at my work
Wear again? Wearing again on Halloween to hand out treats, and will wear as a normal dress after removing some bits
Total price: ~$19
[ETA] Yay! I got featured again! Everybody loves Loki. You can’t deny that. :D


It’s become sort of a “thing” for husband and I to dress up for Halloween as a couple. Ok, that’s totally all my doing. He wouldn’t care if we didn’t dress up, but he does like Halloween as a holiday.

We’ve been Hogwarts students, Scott Pilgrim and Ramona Flowers, and Mary Poppins and Bert. So I felt like we had to keep being relevant and most importantly, easy to make.

This year it took me what felt like a long time to commit to our costumes. I was afraid Loki was just too involved to be worth it. And who would husband go as?! He just humours me with this and prefers it to not be involved at all, so that eliminated a lot of possibilities. He finally agreed to be Agent Phil Coulson because it’s the least involved costume that is still recognizable…and also awesome!! So that sealed the deal.

I did and I didn’t go for a realistic version of Loki’s costume from the Avengers film. I kept some elements but took some liberties with them as well. I figured black, green, gold and horns were the basic elements. And a tesseract (or “Cosmic Cube”) for good measure.

The top of the dress is from Simplicity 1802, but I did a half-circle skirt for the bottom. The cape and what I can only describe as a “sort-of stomacher” are removable. The stomacher-like thing is sewn in place at the sides for now, but I will take it off later so I can wear the dress just normally.

The horns I conceived myself. Loki’s helmet has horns like a goat, which of course they don’t market with the rest of the Avengers toys and costumes, and I couldn’t find anything similar so I had to improvise. I based mine off of those devil horn headbands you see everywhere around this time of year. Except I attached my horns so they curve back like a goat, as opposed to inward. I’ll do a separate tutorial-post for how I did all my Loki accoutrements.

Finally, since Loki is (up for debate, but ok he did kill a bunch of people, so he’s kind-of mostly, ) a villian I was trying to look menacing in my photos…instead I just look mad or depressed. I may have made husband retake a couple on Saturday…which is why I’m not wearing tights or vambraces in some of these.

Advertisements

About EBS

Museum curator, nerd, chronic watcher of TV show marathons, married to a soccer hooligan, vegetarian, obsessive sewer.
This entry was posted in DIY and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Sewing Projects 41: The “Loki’s Army” Dress

  1. Another beautiful and fun creation. I love your work to death! You and your hubby look great.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s