Sewing Projects 21: The “I’ll Never Get To Be QE3” Suit


Originally written for, and posted at, The Sew Weekly. Theme: Diamond Jubilee
The Facts
Fabric: Green/cream yard-dyed suiting $10
Pattern: Simplicity 2154
Year: Contemporary 1960s reissue
Notions: 7″ zip $1, two fabric-covered buttons $2
Time to complete: over 23 hours (2 seasons of Sports Night)
First worn: Up town for pics
Wear again? Probably
Total price: ~$13
What the what?! Two features in a row! *super blush* Husband says he’s going to start asking for payment for taking the pics that get featured.


I wasn’t sure how to start this post. As a fellow Elizabeth I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for the Queen. I was a major Anglophile for a bit in my late teens to early 20s. I made several trips to England to study abroad. I think HM is an interesting person. She reminds me a lot of my (not-British) grandmother – matriarchal, tough ol’ lady. But I also know the British monarchy is a sore spot for a lot of people all over the world. Still, I think it’s pretty awesome that she has made it to her Diamond Jubilee. It’s such a rare occasion.

Obviously I’m going for a 1960s Elizabeth. I don’t have a specific outfit I’ve knocked-off. But I feel this fabric is exactly like something she’d wear to this day. It falls quite well into her spectrum of color.

I had just enough fabric to eek this outfit out of it…sort of. The skirt was a tad shorter than I would have liked. But after seeing Barbara’s Vegas dress with the hem detail, I pieced together a strip to turn up and encase the hem (there’s a name for this, right?) The facing of the jacket is in a different fabric – but I think it adds a little more structure and stability. I should have cut the sleeve more narrow to begin with. I did a bit of tailoring to make it a little more sleek.

I’m not entirely sold on the whole jacket pattern in the end – it’s a real fabric-suck. I should have just used the cardigan pattern, or my trusty Stretch & Sew 300. That would have been much quicker! But no, I stupidly felt like I needed to do a matchy-matchy thing. I’ve only noticed now how the cardigan on the pattern envelope looks much better fitted on the model than the jacket. C’est la vie!

I didn’t realize my skirt was slightly askew for these back shots, but I am proud of how the kick pleat came out. You can also see the pillbox hat I attempted in the first pic. It came out a bit wonky so it probably won’t see the light of day again.

Advertisements

About EBS

Museum curator, nerd, chronic watcher of TV show marathons, married to a soccer hooligan, vegetarian, obsessive sewer.
This entry was posted in DIY and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Sewing Projects 21: The “I’ll Never Get To Be QE3” Suit

  1. Gosh this lovely shade of green suits you well. And the suit is very sweet – you look very well turned out and I love the combo of the suit and wee hat. Lovely.

    • Sully Liz says:

      Thank you! The hat is actually really poorly made (it was more than I could tackle, but I’m glad I tried) so I don’t think it will get much use. But it worked for a few pics.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s