Sewing Projects 6: The “Making A Memory” Outfit


Originally written for, and posted at The Sew Weekly. Theme: Oscars
The Facts
Fabric: 2.5 yards wool blend from Jo-Anns ~$16, black lining remnant $1, facing fabric pieced from stash $0
Pattern: Butterick 5032 and a modified Stretch & Sew 300
Year: 1952 reissue, and 1974
Notions: 16″ zipper $2, 2 1/2 yards black cord trim $5, bias tape for sleeve seams $2
Time to complete: ~35 hours (1 1/2 seasons of West Wing)
First worn: Just for pics
Wear again? Heck yes!!
Total price: ~$26

At first I felt a little guilty for picking this outfit to make because The Parent Trap (1961) wasn’t up for any of the “top 5” Oscar categories, and it also didn’t win (for sound and film editing)! But then I realized how long it took me to finish this and I stopped feeling guilty, because omg I wanted this thing to be finished!!

Sources here, here, and here.
My outfit is an attempt to recreate the one Hayley Mills (as Susan pretending to be Sharon) wears on a picnic with her mother, played by Maureen O’Hara. I’ve always loved the clothes Mills wore playing both twins, and I’m quite fond of a few of the dresses O’Hara wore – including the “frumpy” color-blocked one in the kitchen at the end, she’s just perfection.

The Parent Trap remains one of my favorite films of all time. I freaking love everything about it. Everything. I’d make you a list, but it would amount to everything. I even enjoy the made-for-TV sequels! The 1998 remake was just unnecessary so let’s not talk about it.

I think my version turned out ok. I wish I could have found a closer match to the original fabric, but I was limited for time so I took what I could get quickly. I made an effort to match the plaid on the seams but with the darts and pleats the matching at the waist isn’t the strongest it could be. Good thing the outfit calls for a belt! Matching at the side seams isn’t all that great either but it’s close and I think stripe-matching is like a game of horseshoes – it counts! If you are way off it’s very noticeable, but the closer you are the better. I’ll make this pattern again but in a solid for sure. It was too big for me even after making initial adjustments so I had to take out the zipper I had already put in, and take it in from there – note to self: always try-on before putting in closures! Also, it would help if all pattern makers gave you the ease measurements on the envelope. I never notice them on the pattern pieces until it’s too late.
I used my trusty S&S 300 to draft the jacket. The bodice pieces are lined but the sleeves are not, so they got a “hong kong seam” finish. I did try to round the front corners but after lining I realized it could have made it more drastic. I’m still very pleased with how it turned out.

Also, I got featured!!! And it totally made my day because I had been having a horrible morning – which carried through the night actually.

Advertisements

About EBS

Museum curator, nerd, chronic watcher of TV show marathons, married to a soccer hooligan, vegetarian, obsessive sewer.
This entry was posted in DIY and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s