Originally written for, and posted at, The Sew Weekly. Theme: Plaid
Fabric: Black/white plaid and houndstooth suiting $21
Pattern: Butterick 5032
Year: 1952 reissue
Notions: 18″ zipper $1
Time to complete: 12 hours (12 eps of 80s Sherlock Holmes)
First worn: For pictures, but I’ll wear it to work before this posts probably
Wear again? Indeed!
Total price: ~$22
I got featured again! Which is funny because I was also featured for the dress this one is based on!
Does this look familiar? It should. It’s the dress I wanted to make for the Oscar’s challenge, but had to settle for a different plaid. When the plaid challenge came up I knew I wanted to make another jumper-like dress. I didn’t plan on making the “exact same one” (as husband thought) as before. But when I spotted this fabric logic went out the window, and I had to make the dress “correctly” this time!
So there’s really not much more to say other than I whipped this up in less than half the time as the first one. Well, I also didn’t have to make a jacket and hand-sew any trim. Thank goodness!
…It would be nice to have a matching jacket though…OH WAIT! What’s that?! The Sherlock Holmes cape from last week is reversible?!!?! Oh snaps!
I wish I could have shared this last week but I wanted it to be a surprise. I kept whipping the cape on and off, reversing which side was up, and shouting, “COME, WATSON! The game is afoot!” I was amused.
Sometimes I’m just too clever. Not often. But sometimes. I am completely in love with what I’ve done these past two weeks. I wish I was always this satisfied with what I make.
Current Sew Alongs
- RT @MuseumMinute: #ohio #edu “@NURFCdina: Attention #museum #educators - looking to revitalize our Teacher Advisory Council - DM please! #h…--- 22 hours ago
- “Not quite” nations still have their place at the Venice Biennale - The Art Newspaper theartnewspaper.com/articles/%25e2…--- 1 day ago
- RT @nprlibrary: Are you a grad student interested in archives & NPR history? Consider applying for this internship: bit.ly/10luJca…--- 2 days ago
- Via @nprnews: China Builds Museums, But Filling Them Is Another Story n.pr/10JX8nM--- 3 days ago
- RT @mulaney: And they lived happily ever after. instagram.com/p/ZfBNiLQibt/--- 5 days ago
Tags1960s 2013 plan 2013 stashbusting bad books black blue book butterick catalogue diy documenting dots dress eat fabric featured good books green grey history jo-ann's knit lisette list London lunch mccall's memademay nyc ok books oneweekonepattern pink projects reading retro review sewcinematic sewing sewweekly simplicity skirt stretchnsew stripes style top
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- May 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011