Originally written for, and posted at, The Sew Weekly. Theme: Books
Fabric: Grey suiting $12, lining from stash $0
Pattern: “Frankenpattern”, Butterick 5032 and free deerstalker pattern
Year: Contemporary mix and 1952 reissue
Notions: 16″ zipper $1, covered buttons from stash $0
Time to complete: 15 hours (2 seasons of Sherlock and 6 eps of the 80s BBC series Sherlock Holmes)
First worn: For pictures
Wear again? Right, ho!
Total price: ~$13
Since we had so much fun on this photo shoot I added a few more pics at the end that weren’t in the post for SW. Enjoy!
It had to be done. It HAD TO! I had this cape pattern, and I had been waiting and waiting to make a grey dress. All I needed to do was Google a pattern for a Deerstalker and I was set. It had to be done. So I did.
Admittedly my mom is a bigger Sir-Arthur-Conan-Doyle-canon Sherlock Holmes fanatic than I am. She’s very particular about who Holmes is and is not. I am just a fan of the character in general, so I appreciate modern interpretations of all sorts. She came to visit me the first time I studied abroad in London, and I made sure to take her to the museum at 221B Baker Street. And then when hubs and I went to London for our honeymoon, we stayed just up the road from The Sherlock Holmes Pub on Northumberland Street, and made a special trip to the Baker Street tube station just so I could get a good picture of the tiles (after years of failing).
Anyway, the cape with the dress is meant to echo the Inverness cape/coat that Sherlock Holmes is commonly depicted wearing. But I’ve added the red buttonhole detail that Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sherlock is known for.
Can you believe I don’t have a basic A-line dress pattern with a basic bodice and sleeves? I could’t believe it either. Everyone seems to have Simplicity 2444 except me. I’ve been trying not to buy a whole lot of patterns so I “Frankenpatterned” my way through it with the skirt from Simplicity 2209, the bodice from McCall’s 5972, and the sleeves from Simplicity 2211.
I knew the bodice and skirt would be easy-ish to put together, but I wasn’t sure how well the sleeves would work with the bodice. So first compared the bodice for the dress, and the blouse the sleeves usually belong to. Then I made one muslin sleeve and basted it in and made some minor adjustments and it was fine. Since I was doing sleeves I moved the zipper from the side, to the back. I’ve always wanted to do that! This whole outfit was just full of success!
Also, yes, we had a ton of fun on this photo shoot.
Current Sew Alongs
- RT @mulaney: And they lived happily ever after. instagram.com/p/ZfBNiLQibt/--- 2 hours ago
- RT @columbusmuseum: Share your favorite museum moments using #MusMem for Museum Memories Day today. (via @vangoghmuseum)--- 2 days ago
- RT @nbcsnl: Ahhhhhhh!!! #OfficeFinale #ThatsWhatSheSaid!!!--- 3 days ago
- Wish we had registered for cats at our wedding! #TheOffice--- 3 days ago
- The reformed Psych major part of me wants to buy the DSM-V. Such an occasion!--- 3 days ago
Tags1960s 2013 plan 2013 stashbusting bad books black blue book butterick catalogue diy documenting dots dress eat fabric featured good books green grey history jo-ann's knit lisette list London lunch mccall's memademay nyc ok books oneweekonepattern pink projects reading retro review sewcinematic sewing sewweekly simplicity skirt stretchnsew stripes style top
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- May 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011