Sewing Projects 18: The “Dots and Houndstooth” Outfit


Originally written for, and posted at, The Sew Weekly. Theme: Print Mixing
The Facts
Fabric: White dot cotton $3, black/green houndstooth suiting $5 – both from Fashion Fabrics Club, white cotton for lining $1, and black cotton scraps from mom’s stash $0
Pattern: Simplicity 2087 (top) and 2512 (skirt)
Year: 1954 and 2009
Notions: 12″ and 7″ zips $3, hook/eye from stash
Time to complete: 16 hours (16 eps of Make It or Break It. It’s terrible. Don’t watch this show. Seriously.)
First worn: For pictures, and then to work this week
Wear again? Heck. Yes.
Total price: ~$12

I have to admit that I’m a scardy cat when it comes to print mixing. In sewing, I’ve only ever done it once (for the City/Local Color challenge) because I was trying with all my might to be creative and think outside of the box. And now that I think about it, I don’t think I do it with any of my RTW wardrobe either. I blame this all on getting boring in my old age because I know I wore crazy outfits as a child and teen. I’m also slowly getting over my fear of bright colors in medium to large doses.

This mix of prints is admittedly still tame. They’re basic motifs so of course they still “work”. When I bought them I never thought I’d put them together, but now I can’t imagine not doing so!

I made a muslin of the top and then used it as the lining because this cotton was a bit sheer. I’ve never made a muslin before (gasp! shock! horror!), just altered the finished product. But I really wanted this top to fit well so I made the commitment! In the end, the only real adjustment I made was taking in the side seams at my bust. I also used the selvage edge on the hem so I only had to turn it up once. The next time I make this top I think I’ll just use a regular zip at the side, turned upside down, instead of the separating zip it calls for. It’s wide enough for me to wriggle my shoulders in without undoing the hook and eye.

The skirt is another version of the one I did for the City challenge. I skipped the “sweetheart” bit of the waistband and just made it straight. I fell in love with this fabric when I saw it online. I had to snatch it up the first chance I got! I’m so glad I did. I just love it.

I didn’t try very hard to match up the pattern, but what a nice surprise to see how nicely it worked out.

About these ads

About EBS

Museum curator, nerd, chronic watcher of TV show marathons, married to a soccer hooligan, vegetarian, obsessive sewer.
This entry was posted in DIY and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Sewing Projects 18: The “Dots and Houndstooth” Outfit

  1. Emily says:

    I love this outfit! So fun!

  2. Pingback: Prep for Sew Weekly: TV Characters | The Cataloguer

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s